March 17, 2011
International Financial Law Review (IFLR) named Latham & Watkins as its Project Finance “Team of the Year” at the IFLR Asian Awards 2011. The honor reflects the practice group’s deep legal and industry expertise across the Asian region, where attorneys advise developers, lenders, issuers and underwriters on some of the world’s largest and most complex projects. The firm was recognized for its leading roles on notable projects such as the:
- Hongsa Mine-Mouth Power Project in Laos (as lenders' counsel),
- Papua New Guinea Liquified Natural Gas (LNG) Project (as lenders' counsel),
- Paiton 3 Power Project in Indonesia (as lenders' counsel),
- Yeong Yang Wind Power Project in the Republic of Korea (as lenders' counsel), and
- GNPower Mariveles Project in the Philippines, in which the firm advised the developer Denham Capital Management.
IFLR also named the GNPower Mariveles Project as its 2011 Project Finance “Deal of the Year,” and lauded the “highly complex transaction” for its incorporation of a unique hybrid merchant power structure involving numerous off-takers under multiple long-term power purchase agreements. The GNPower Mariveles Project is the first large-scale power project undertaken since the government of the Philippines enacted its Electric Power Industry Reform Act in 2001.